[NEWS] 121129 Dispute That Shocked K-Pop Is Over

Photobucket

One of K-Pop’s highest profile and longest running management disputes has finally come to an end.

JYJ, a boy band that was formed in January 2010 after three members of TVXQ, better known as Dong Bang Shin Ki, broke away, and their former management agency, SM Entertainment, accepted an injunction on Wednesday by the Seoul Central District Court dropping all legal filings between the two sides.

In July 2009, Kim Jae-joong, Kim Jun-su, and Park Yu-chun of 5-member TVXQ filed a suit against the agency, arguing that their 13-year contract with SM was too long given the relatively short career of an entertainer. They also claimed that income was tilted too favorably toward management.

In October that year, the court ruled in favor of the three singers and nullified the contract. In response, SM filed a suit in April 2010 objecting to the ruling and demanding compensation. The three singers filed a counter suit and also demanded compensation. All claims will now be dropped.

The dispute shocked K-Pop fans at home and abroad unused to the less glamorous side of K-Pop and sparked media coverage of the grittier aspects of the business, including so-called “slave contracts,” harsh schedules and unscrupulous managers who cheat on trainees.

Neither JYJ or SM Entertainment could be immediately reached for comment. Paek Chang-ju, the chief executive officer of JYJ’s current management company, C-Jes Entertainment, said in a press release yesterday that the dispute “offered a decisive moment to improve unfair practices that have existed in the entertainment industry.”

Photobucket

The government and entertainment industry groups have acknowledged that there’s work to be done to reform unfair practices.

In May, the Ministry of Culture, Sports and Tourism said it would tidy up some of the messiness in the industry and filter out unqualified managers with criminal records. Last month, the Fair Trade Commission set up guidelines of fair trade for management, trainees and production companies.

It remains to be seen how much those legally non-binding guidelines will help fix the problems.

Source: The Wall Street Journal
Shared by: iMickyCassie

[NEWS] 121129 SM-JYJ, 3 Years Of Contract Disputes, Dramatic Conclusion

Photobucket

The 3 years of contract dispute between SM Entertainment and JYJ, consisting of three former members of TVXQ, has finally come to a close.

Yesterday, SM stated through a press release, “JYJ has no intention to come back and join TVXQ and SM felt that there was no further reason to manage the three members. Therefore, they have decided to end the trial and to not interfere with one another after the trial is over.”

They continued, “They did not want to give off any further unnecessary damage or issues to the current TVXQ group and decided to end the trial.”

The three members applied for provisional disposition against SM in 2009 and were allowed to hold individual activities while the trial was being held. The three members then created the group, JYJ.

Source: kpopstarz
Shared by: iMickyCassie

[NEWS] 121129 JYJ Settles Contract Disputes, Will They Be Able To Appear On Music Programs?

JYJ is one of the hottest idol groups that consists of ex-TVXQ members Junsu, Yoochun and Jaejoong. They are the center of the Hallyu and have received much love in music, musicals, acting and more. However, they have not been seen on music programs or variety shows.

Photobucket

The biggest reason for this is due to their lawsuit. JYJ filed a lawsuit against SM Entertainment for unjust exclusive contracts in which the court accepted.

Through their long and arduous dispute, they were allowed to proceed with their own activities while the trial was in process. That is how they were able to still be seen through musicals and dramas. However, they were not allowed to appear on music programs and variety shows.

Now that the dispute has ended with them terminating the exclusive contrast and agreeing not to interfere with one another’s activity, many fans are curious to know whether or not they will finally be able to show their faces on music programs and variety shows.

JYJ has already become quite famous in the musical and drama fields these past few years. They have not solved the last of their problems with SM. We are now waiting to see if they will in fact be appearing on mainstream media and TV.

Source: kpopstarz
Shared by: iMickyCassie

[NEWS] 121128 JYJ And SM Entertainment Finally Resolve Their Legal Battle, But Is Their Feud Really Over?

Photobucket

Gee, it’s been one hell of a week for K-pop. First the Wonder Girls go on hiatus in the wake of Sun’s marriage plans, and now JYJ and SM Entertainment have finally settled their infamous contract dispute. Or so it seems.

It’s been over three years since Junsu, Jaejoong, and Yoochun filed a lawsuit for contract termination against their former label, subsequently splitting Asia’s biggest boy band, TVXQ, in half. While the remaining two members of the group have been able to successfully continue on as a duo, the runaways, now known as JYJ, have been in and out of the courts trying to break free of their allegedly unfair contracts.

And now they finally have.

In an official statement released to the press, SM Entertainment said:

The trio [JYJ] stated that they have no intention of performing as members of the group ‘TVXQ’, so SM has come to the decision that we no longer have a reason to be in charge of management for the trio. We have come to a mutual agreement to not interfere with the other party’s activities as our paths will not cross in the future, and the lawsuit has come to an end through this agreement. Also, we have come to the decision that the best course of action was to end this lawsuit to ensure that there will be no more additional damages or unnecessary issues that arise because of the lawsuit that may harm Yunho and Changmin, who are currently active as ‘TVXQ.’

Sadly, JYJ’s label, C-JeS Entertainment, aren’t quite convinced that just because the legal issues have been laid to rest, that the drama will be, too. In a statement of their own, C-JeS seemed more than certain that SM will continue to cockblock JYJ’s broadcast activities in Korea, just as they have been for the past three-plus years.

We believed that this was a battle that had already been won three years ago when the courts accepted our injunction. To be honest, we don’t believe that there will be much change to JYJ’s activities after the verdict because the interference of JYJ’s activities isn’t a legal issue, but a battle between David and Goliath.

We are currently walking down a path that only JYJ could take, and we will continue to pursue our own activities, as planned. We hope that the success of this agreement will rectify the various limitations placed upon JYJ that used the lawsuit as an excuse, and we would like to once more sincerely thank the domestic and international fans who have given JYJ their unwavering support from the start.

We probably won’t know if JYJ will be allowed back onto Korea’s music programs until they release their next album, which is tentatively due out early next year. Although, with speculation that they’re hoping to target the U.S. again, we could be waiting even longer. Whenever their K-pop comeback finally does happen, SM should retract their claws and just let the trio go about their business. That way, SM can at least pretend that they were only doing it before for legal reasons, since JYJ were still technically signed to them. If they decide to continue their acts of sabotage from this point forward, they’ll just look like big ol’ bullies.

Regardless of what happens, JYJ are going to be just fine. Their last album, 2011′s In Heaven, was still the fourth highest-seller last year, and Junsu’s solo album, May’s Tarantallegra, is the highest-selling solo album in the history of Korea’s GAON chart. The local restrictions placed on JYJ also forced the group to tour and promote overseas, gaining them a much larger international following than many other K-pop acts. SM may have won a few small battles here and there, but overall, JYJ have won the war.

Posted by Jacques Peterson on 11/28/2012 at 3:59 PM News

Source: popdust.com
Shared by: iMickyCassie

[NEWS] 121128 JYJ, SM Entertainment End Legal Stalemate

SEOUL: After some three years and four months, it’s finally over.

Korean pop-trio JYJ‘s management agency C-Jes Entertainment announced Wednesday that JYJ has resolved its differences with SM Entertainment, and that both parties have dropped all lawsuits against one another, reported Korean media.

JYJ and SM Entertainment have also signed an agreement which recognised that JYJ’s previous employment contract with SM Entertainment ceased to be in effect on July 31, 2009, and states that both parties will not interfere in each other’s activities from now on.

Formed in 2010, JYJ’s members Kim Jae Joong, Park Yu Chun and Kim Jun Su (all former members of SM Entertainment’s boy band TVXQ) had previously taken SM Entertainment to court on July 31, 2009 over allegedly unfair contracts that bound them for 13 years and penalized them heavily if they wanted out of their contract.

What followed was years of legal wrangling between JYJ and SM Entertainment.

But all that is now history.

A spokesperson for SM Entertainment told Korean media on Wednesday that the Korean entertainment giant no longer wished to hold JYJ to their earlier contracts, since they have no intention of performing under the TVXQ moniker.

He added that breaking the legal stalemate was the best solution as it allows TVXQ’s remaining members Jung Yunho and Shim Changmin to conduct their activities without any further complications.

Baek Chang Joo, CEO of JYJ’s management agency C-Jes Entertainment, claimed that the trio’s victory was assured since the very beginning of the legal saga, and thanked fans for their support.

Baek said he hoped the agreement would also mean the lifting of the restrictions which were placed on JYJ by various Korean media outlets, possibly due to SM Entertainment’s massive influence in the industry.

-CNA/ha

Source: channelnewsasia.com
Shared by: iMickyCassie

[NEWS] 121130 JYJ’s Junsu Talks About The End Of Their Legal Battle With SM Entertainment

Photobucket

JYJ‘s Junsu discussed his thoughts on the ending of the legal battle with SM Entertainment.

Junsu took part in a press conference at the Sheraton Hotel in Essen, Germany to mark the ending of his 1st World Tour. He said, “The legal battle lasted for 3 years and 4 months. To be honest, it should have ended earlier… But at the same time I also feel that the results came out suddenly. Having had a hard time for 3 years and 4 months, I felt like that time was not spent in vain… I heard the news when I was leaving for Germany, so I actually don’t know all the details of the settlement.”

He continued, “Because of that, it’s hard to say too much on this. The important thing is that we were able to obtain good results. I haven’t talked to the members yet, but I want to when I get back to Korea.”

When asked about what JYJ has been able to gain from the settlement, he responded, “I’m happy not because we achieved what JYJ or we wanted to achieve, but because we might have helped our hoobaes. I think we helped in making the environment better for our hoobaes. Contracts of 13, 10 years have been changed to basic contracts, and even that alone was consolation during our lonely legal battle. It’s what kept us going.”

On the issue of appearing on variety shows, he said carefully, “If this type of result allows for us to appear on broadcast, then it should have been possible three years ago when we first filed (to become independent).” He added, “I don’t know if it will be possible for us to appear on variety shows through this result. We always dream about it, but I want to ask all you reporters, do you think we can?“

One unfortunate result of the lawsuit was that there will probably never be a 5-membered TVXQ. On that subject, he said, “A lot of time passed, but one unfortunate fact is that we can no longer have activities under the TVXQ name. We wanted to fight against the company’s unfairness, it wasn’t that we wanted to leave TVXQ. It just had to happen. It’s regretful and saddening. I feel sorry to the fans, but the title of TVXQ will remain forever. But realistically, it’s going to be difficult to promote as TVXQ again.”

Source: Newsen
Credit: allkpop
Shared by: iMickyCassie